Negosentro.com | Why Selling books on Amazon is a Good Idea | If you are looking for an extra source of income, perhaps selling books on Amazon could be a good idea for you. Jeff Bezos, one of the richest men in the world, founded Amazon in 1994 for selling books. Even after diversifying into various commodities, selling books online is still one of the top products that generate revenue for Amazon.
Isn’t it a great idea that you can also learn to sell books on Amazon and make extra income? If you are successful in this venture, you can use this platform and launch your product listing on Amazon. There are testimonials from many people of how they have made money selling books on Amazon.
In this article, we are going to look at how you can get started as well as the benefits of selling books on amazon. First, it is good to know that there are two types of Amazon sellers. These are:
- Individual Sellers: These are sellers who sell less than 40 products a month. It is a highly recommended method for sellers with very few products or selling as a hobby. Their fees are usually different than professional sellers. You can go through the FAQs to get more details on this.
- Professional Sellers: They typically sell more than 40 items per month. If you have a large inventory, you can select this method.
There are various benefits to selling books on Amazon. These are:
- It is an excellent platform to use to sell used books and make money while at it: You can use the category for selling used books on Amazon to get rid of your old books. You can also buy new books and resell them through this platform. This can be a good source of extra income. You can also build on that and start a business on amazon later.
- People still want to buy books: In this day and age, one might think that demands for books have decreased. Quite the opposite, demand for books is still on the rise world over with the numbers of people searching for books on amazon remaining the same over the years.
- Amazon is a great marketplace for books selling: It is a fact that most people usually head to the amazon site when they need something before looking at any other site.
Once you have decided to sell books on Amazon, you need to determine the fulfillment method of your orders. There are two methods that you can choose, and we will now look at them in detail.
1. FBA (Fulfilment by Amazon)
When using this method, after a sale has been made, Amazon will pick, pack, and ship the book on your behalf. They are responsible for storing your inventory as well as offering customer service for you.
You usually pay Amazon the FBA fees, which cover the shipping, handling, and storage expenses. It is a recommended method when you have many orders with a small operation. It is an excellent method to consider as they can ship your book to other countries at no extra cost.
2. FBM (Fulfilment by Merchant)
With this method, you are responsible for packing and shipping the product to the customer. You also get to choose the carrier such as FedEx, UPS, and many others. You also get to store your products. If you are using external storage for your books, remember to factor in the storage fee, the handling expenses as well as the shipping fees.
You can use this method if the orders are few, or when you have an operation that is large enough with lower shipping costs than Amazon’s as well as adequate storage for your books.
Once you make your decision to sell books on amazon and if you do not have enough books of your own to sell, you can start looking for some other books to add to your collection. You can do this through:
- Going for books sales from booksellers and libraries
- Online arbitrage where you buy books from other sources such as e-bay at lower prices
- Bulk purchases from estate closing sales at very low prices.
- Free books from booksellers and other book users.
When looking for these books, it is good to ensure that you are buying sellable ones. You can:
- Check their BSR or Best Seller’s Rank on Amazon. The lower it is, the more a book will sell.
- Use tools such as Jungle Scout to check a book’s likelihood to sell.
Once you have the books, you can now proceed to list them on Amazon. Here, you enter the books ISBN on the search bar and click on “Have one for sale”.
You will then be asked to fill in the details about the book. You can go through the terms to know the various acceptable book conditions that you can sell.
You are now armed with enough information on selling books on amazon.