Ozzias T. Villaver, Jr., Ed. D. , Negosentro.com | Some scientists and economists estimate that 60-80% of the solid waste we produce can be eliminated by a combination of reducing waste production, reusing and recycling materials (including composting), and redesigning manufacturing processes and buildings to produce less waste.
Here are 5 ways to reduce waste
- Consume less. Before buying anything, ask yourself if you really need or want the item/s? Can you but it second hand (reuse)? Can you borrow or rent it(reuse)?
- Eliminate or reduce unnecessary packaging. For environmental purposes, the normal for packaging is no packaging (nude products), minimal packaging, reusable packaging, and recyclable packaging.
- Design products to last longer. When manufacturer of products come out for public consumption, it must consider the span of time; the longer the products will expire, the better the consumers will purchase them.
- Develop products that are easy to repair, reuse, manufacture, compost, or recycle. Reusable or recyclable products will certainly reduce these solid waste and environmental harm.
- Redesign manufacturing processes to produce less waste and pollution. This will save the manufacturing cost, the material and energy resources, reduces pollution too, and helps protect biodiversity.
Of course, you can even hire a waste removal company to get rid of your trash.
Indeed, “reducing consumption and redesigning the products we produce are the best ways to cut waste production and promote sustainability.”
(Reference: Miller, Tyler G. Environmental Science Working with the Earth. Eleventh Edition. Belmont, California: Thomson Brooks/Cole, @2006).