Safety consultants are the ones who are responsible for providing guidance to people regarding safety as and when necessary. Therefore, multiple facts are to be considered before hiring the right person according to your need. Expertise is the key factor whether you want to hire an accountant, a safety professional or an attorney. This will make your life a lot easier. As you do not require a consultant full-time you must, therefore make sure that they are available on-call. To make your choice of a safety consultant easy and fruitful the following queries are to be answered satisfactorily:
To start your selection process for a qualified and experienced safety consultant, first consider your needs and then the following:
- Are you looking for general help?
- Do you need a compliance audit or industrial hygiene monitoring?
- Do you need specific safety training?
- Whether you need lowering injury rate?
- How much you need the consultant to do?
- Do you have specific concerns?
You must also consider the qualification and why the safety consultant is suitable for your need. Moreover, consider the license and work experience in similar industries. Look for certifications such as Certified Safety Professional, Associate Safety Professional, Certified Industrial Hygienist, and Certified Hazardous Materials Manager.
Benefits of Hiring
There are several benefits of hiring a safety consultant. They will help you in saving serious expenses due to injuries. Their expertise and experiences will let you implement newer and better ideas. Apart from that the other distinct benefits that you will enjoy includes:
- They will help you to reduce your company’s overhead costs
- They provide 100% deductible business expense
- They provide service as per your need or on contract
- Training is also available for employees as and when required
- OSHA intervention services provided
- Negotiate on your behalf
- Save you from being fined thereby saving considerable amount of money
- Conduct pre-OSHA inspection service
- Recommend remedial measures for potential problems in your work site
- Keep you up to date with the safety regulations
- Check current safety manual and upgrade it as required
- Write new safety manual according to your industry and
- Set up and check OSHA required paperwork.
A reliable and reputed safety consultant will offer their service at a competitive price and along with their regular service they will work on annual service contracts. This will ensure more and better savings for your company. Assuming that you get a few referrals good and reliable consultant service may also offer you discount on referrals.
Roads to Avoid
You must specifically avoid a safety consultant with a Certificate of Recognition or COR focus. The prime reason for it is that focus on good health will not be in COR. Hire a safety consultant that will help you to build a system that will ensure points for COR audit questions. However, the audit itself is a part of the health and safety management system that enables you to know about the areas that need improvement.
Ambition for COR certification is commendable as that will help in keeping the employers safe and healthy and also, they have a bigger aim and objective to follow. They have a good will focus on saving your hard-earned money and consider what really matters and not on the attractive perks. They will give you enough time and suggestions to do things right. They will not rush you to build a safety manual simply to pass a COR audit.
A safety consultant will look at the bigger picture and ensure its proper implementation so that your end goal is achieved easily and effectively. They will build a practical system that will be most suitable for your company, you and your employees.