Negosentro.com | Cloud Hosting is slowly gaining traction with most website owners. The ease of scalability, improved performance, speed, and better security are some of the reasons behind websites migrating to Cloud Hosting. However, it is important to note that Cloud migration needs a carefully crafted plan and strategy to ensure that your website reaps the benefits of Cloud Hosting without any roadblocks.
Before you buy Cloud Hosting
Before you buy cloud hosting, it is important to ensure that you choose a provider who is best suited to your website’s requirement. Understand what you need from the hosting provider in the order of priority be it scalability, security, etc. Once you are clear about your requirements, choosing the right provider would be easier. Also, assess your capacity requirements and look at the cost-efficiency offered by different providers.
Key Mistakes to Avoid
Here is a list of mistakes that you should avoid while migrating to Cloud Hosting:
- Approaching cloud migration without a plan – Once you have decided about the host and the plan, you need to sit down with your technical team or talk to the hosting provider to create a migration plan. Without a plan, you might end up being dissatisfied with the migration experience.
- Migrating critical applications/data first – Website owners who have migrated to cloud often recommend that non-critical applications/data should be migrated first. This helps you test the waters before migrating the important data/apps to cloud.
- Not preparing applications for the cloud environment – Your current system and the cloud environment run differently. Hence, it is imperative that you update your applications and make them cloud-ready before migrating.
- Unprepared staff – Your tech team might be great at managing your website/apps in the current environment, but they need to be prepared for the migration. Training sessions or workshops might help them get ready for the new hosting environment.
- Assuming no downtime – While most cloud hosting providers try to ensure that there is no/minimal downtime during migration, it is essential that you have a plan to manage downtimes if any.
- Not checking and validating the data/apps – Once the migration is complete, it is important that you check if everything is working fine. It is important to ensure that the entire data is migrated, website/app works normally, and components interact with each other as desired.
- Not getting the best price that you can. There are a variety of cloud services available and it is important to pick the one that provides you the most value at the cheapest price. Discover AWS pricing online or try and find another cloud service provider that will offer similar rates and services as Amazon.
Another aspect that you must keep in mind is the importance of the migration support team offered by the hosting provider. Before you buy cloud hosting, ensure that the provider offers a 24×7 assistance for the migration to help you through the journey. Avoid the mistakes mentioned above to ensure a smooth migration experience. If you have some tips to add or mistakes that people can avoid, do share them in the comments below.