Rental Property Maintenance Best Practices: 4 Strategies To Maintain Its Condition | A common hesitation from homeowners to put their property for rental is maintenance. A rental property that is not appropriately managed will fall into shambles. Fortunately, there are ways to prevent this from happening. You can choose to outsource these services or be hands-on and tackle these matters completely.
Here are some rental property management strategies for any landlord to keep your property up and running in the best possible condition, or seek help from Navana property management company.
- Hands-On Regular Maintenance Management
The basic strategy to keep your rental property in good condition is to do regularly scheduled maintenance. As a landlord, it is your responsibility to make sure that the property is maintained well despite the number of years it has been in use.
Using this strategy, you will be the one to coordinate with various people for all kinds of maintenance for your property. It will also be your responsibility to check whether all maintenance has been done well or not.
Here are some things that you have to take note of and can act as your checklist when you do your scheduled regular maintenance.
- Make sure all your plumbing and fixtures are clean and are working well.
- Hire an electrician to check for faulty wires and circuits.
- Check if your appliances need to be replaced.
- Check for leaks, wood deterioration, termite infestation in wooden fixtures, and such.
- Trim the grass and pick up branches in the garden.
- Keep walls and exteriors painted well.
- Check all windows and doors for gaps to prevent leakage whenever it rains.
- Check your roof for damages.
- Have your air conditioning system cleaned regularly to avoid molds and foster proper airflow.
- Hire pest control to exterminate unwanted pests
- Inspect the pipes and water lines for possible deterioration and clogs.
- Outsource Property Management
One of the best practices for maintaining rental properties and multi-family housing is to outsource a professional. Using an Outsourced Property Management Strategy, you will not be a hands-on manager for your property or manage daily operations. Instead, you can have a Property Management Company London to settle matters not only in maintenance, but also with tenants.
This lifts a heavy weight off your shoulders while having your property in top shape.
Using this strategy, you can hire others to handle everything, including:
- tenant-related matters
- rent collection
Further, since your property manager is a professional, they will have reliable contacts to do contracting, repair, and maintenance for your rental property. This strategy is advantageous to you since you will no longer need to be responsible for the rental property on a 24/7 basis.
- Security and Safety Management
As much as regular maintenance is important, you also have to make sure that your rental property is safe to live in. Both you and the tenant will benefit from this one. An essential part of rental property management is to make sure that it has all the security measures in place. This includes safety measures for sanitary and safety hazards to prevent any health concerns, burglary, and accidents.
Here are some hazards you have to cover to make sure your rental property is safe and secure:
- Make sure there is an efficient sanitary waste disposal process for your tenant
- Do regular pest control to avoid infestations in your rental property
- Ensure all fire detection apparatus is in place
- Include additional security or burglar alarm systems
- Preventive Management
Another strategy that you can use is to have tenant screenings, and setting policies or protocols for them to follow. All of these can be included in your lease agreement. At the same time, violations from it will result in consequences.
This way, your tenant will also take good care of your property since they had agreed to it. Some policies you can include are the following:
- Impose garbage disposal rules and procedures
- Seasonal maintenance tasks in the account of your tenant such as cutting grass, shovelling snow, putting salt for ice, cleaning gutters, and raking leaves.
- Rules on minor repairs and who will be responsible for them
- Procedures and manuals for landlord-provided appliances
No matter what kind of property you have, make sure that it is in top shape. Whatever the age of the property is, it will need regularly scheduled property maintenance to avoid problems.
It is crucial to prioritize the condition of your rental properties to ensure good investment returns. Just follow these strategies, and you can be able to manage it effectively. Now, you have all you need to maintain any property in good condition.
Edward Flanagan is the founder of Edward’s Enterprises, a handyman service & licensed general contractor that has been improving homes and providing facilities maintenance in Southern California since 1996. Their repair services include rental property maintenance, apartment turnover repairs, and retail & facility maintenance. Edward currently divides his time between Camarillo and Venice Beach, CA, and loves the 405.