Yesterday I ran a workshop for a small group of bloggers here in Australia. One of the sessions I covered was on writing compelling content.
Heres a brief look at a few of the recurring themes in what I shared:
- Be Useful if your post isnt informing, inspiring, entertaining or making someones life better dont publish it until it does.
- Share your Opinion opinions are often what sets bloggers apart from the pack.
- Cut out the Fluff before you hit publish, revise your post and remove anything that doesnt add value.
- Visualise Your Reader writing with a reader in mind personalises your writing.
- Make Your Posts Scannable only 16% of people read every word online. Format your posts so that your main points stand out.
- Work and Rework You Headlines a good headline can be the difference between a blog post being read, or ignored.
- Write with Passion when you show you care about what youre writing, your readers are more likely to care too.
- Give your Readers something to do Next ask your readers to DO something once they finish reading. It could be to read something else, comment, apply a lesson, share the post etc.
- Tell Stories stories are powerful ways of connecting with, inspiring and teaching your readers they also create memories
- Give Your Posts Visual Appeal the inclusion of an eye-catching image or a well designed diagram can take your post to the next level.
- Practise the best way to improve your writing is to write. Practise Makes Perfect.
* * *