Kelly Clarkson, Negosentro | Have you ever wanted to become a Certified Scrum Master? Then the first thing you’ll need to do is obtain a CSM Certification to begin working as one. But What exactly does this position entail and how can you achieve such a certification?
For those who aren’t familiar with how to get a CSM Certification, read on as I show you some helpful tips to get you closer to your goal of becoming a Scrum Master.
What Is A Certified Scrum Master?
Scrum is a methodology, which allows teams to self-organize and quickly make appropriate cages using agile principles. Scrum Masters are facilitators for a development team, who manage the processes on how the team exchanges information.
A scrum master would huddle with his team members for a meeting. They would review the progress of the project, with the scrum master asking three essential questions:
- What was done yesterday?
- What will be done today?
- Are there any impediments that go in your way?
A Certified Scrum Master is a highly popular and globally-recognized certification that the Scrum Alliance offers. This is provided to professionals who complete the CSM training, who have proven their skills in all Scrum practices, principles, and technologies in the exam.
Through being a Certified Scrum Master, you will have better job opportunities, especially for those who would like to develop a stronger base on scrum practices.
Those who undergo CSM training are usually product owners, developers, testers, software architects, coders, and other software engineers.
But take note that Scrum Masters are NOT project leaders, nor should they be held accountable for any outcome. It is the whole team who will be responsible for what may happen during the project.
With that being said, a Scrum Master is not easy. They are responsible for:
- Helping the team on what should be achieved in a certain period of time
- Guiding the team into reaching a consensus during the scrum (meeting)
- Encouraging the team to stay focused, following the rules
- Eradicating obstacles that impend progress of the team
- Protect the team from any distractions
There are no set eligibilities to become a Scrum Master, except you will need to undergo training to become certified. Getting certified doesn’t require anything, but it’s best to have the understanding and knowledge of specific principles and the scrum process.
Tips on How to Get a CSM Certification
Now that you know what a Certified Scrum Master is, what are the steps to take in order to get the CSM Certification you need to become one? Here are some steps to follow:
- Getting CSM Certification will require you to take up a two-day CSM Course from Certified Scrum Trainers. There will then be an exam to take after this course.
- Take up the course from the official website of Scrum Alliance. You will receive log-in information to take up the course, but you will have a graded online evaluation beforehand. Once you have submitted this and agreed to the terms, you can download the certificate and print it. Take up the training in cities near you. It will take self-study along the way, so be sure to take time for remembering and understanding the principles and technologies learned.
- While studying to become a Certified Scrum Master, it must be done in quiet areas to concentrate. In-class courses are required as well, to interact and learn how to manage projects in natural environments without internet interactivity.
- If you failed the CSM exam, you could retake the exam. If you failed on your second attempt, you would need to pay a $25 fee to the Scrum Alliance. It’s recommended to re-enrol if you have failed thrice.
When it comes to getting CSM Certification, it doesn’t need to be a tough journey. As long as you follow the steps and understand what you are taught, then you will soon achieve the certification needed to become the next leader of your Scrum teams today.
I hope that this article on how to get a CSM Certification helped you become more knowledgeable about what do. So don’t wait any longer and begin your plan on grabbing that certification today.
If you have any questions or would like to share your tips and experiences on getting a CSO Certification, then comment down below. I would love to hear what you have to think.