Whether youre an online marketing pro or a relative newbie, chances are youll have the heard the phrase Content Is King once or twice before. In this post-Penguin era, that phrase has never been more applicable or relevant and since the first Penguin update hit, it seems the world and his wife have jumped on the old content marketing bandwagon.
Now, while weve talked about things like guest blogging and infographics in detail before on this blog, weve only briefly touched on YouTube and the power of video when it comes to online marketing. Today, I thought it was time to change all that.
Working in SEO, I must do hundreds of Google searches a week and one thing Ive noticed recently is that Google LOVES video at the moment. Regardless of the search, it seems Google is keen to serve me up a nice alternative video wherever possible.
Whether its a how-to video, a cheesy music video or a funny advert, right now it feels like Google cant get enough of YouTube content and, as a result, theres more videos in the SERPs than ever before.
When it comes to video entries in the SERPs, its definitely tempting to click on them. Why? Curiosity I suppose. By nature, were curious beings so it makes sense that when were offered up something a bit different in our search, we like to have a look to see what relevant visual treat YouTube has in store for us on that particular day.
This innate curiosity and Googles decision to favour content from its own online video platform means YouTube is the obvious platform for online marketing and building a brand right now. Whats more, it presents you with the perfect opportunity to capture a few of those all-important organic SERP results.
Like the idea of using YouTube to market your business but not sure where to start? Here are five alternative strategies to get you started:
1. How-To Guides: According to our social media manager Lauren, How To is the most searched for phrase on YouTube so creating some How-To guides relevant to your industry is a bit is a bit of a no-brainer.
Brainstorm all the things someone might like to know in your industry (e.g. how to write a good cover letter) and make some useful, high quality videos that provide clear, concise and actionable answers. Remember, the most simple strategies are sometimes the most effective!
2. Answer Questions: Whether its a blog, article or video, the best and most successful content solves a problem or answers a question. Survey your customers and others in the industry to try to establish a set of FAQs related to your niche and create a set of videos which provide useful, easy-to-follow answers.
These videos dont have to be particularly long or complicated remember, youre trying to answer a question and be useful, not win an Oscar!
3. Repurpose Existing Content: If youve already got a successful blog, youve got a YouTube strategy sitting right under your nose! When it comes to content marketing in 2013, its all about changing the format of your existing content and repurposing it for a new audience.
Some people are more visual than others and are much more attracted to videos than blogs and vice versa so to really make the most of your content, you should put some time and effort in to ensuring every piece of content you produce from here on in is produced in a range of formats and styles.
4. Invoke Curiosity: Blendtecs YouTube channel and Will It Blend? campaign are so successful because their videos not only answer questions but invoke curiosity too. I mean, who wouldnt want to know if their blender would blend an iPhone 5?
On YouTube its all about standing out from the crowd, catching someones attention and producing interesting, unique, share-able content. You might think your industry is boring or dull but you could say the same about Blendtecs! Its all about finding your niche in the market, finding a different angle and taking a chance.
5. Show Off A Different Side To Your Business: Overly-promotional videos are never a good call but videos that are fun, friendly and show off the personal side of your business can work wonders.
Always banging on about how local and personable your business is? Show off those values in a promotional video remember, people relate to people, not faceless organisations! Strike the right balance between personal and professional in your YouTube promotional video and you could win over a whole army of new fans and potential customers.
Here at Bubble we like to practice what we preach so over the next few months were going to be playing around with YouTube a lot. We dont want to give too much away but lets just say weve got some big things planned dont forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel to ensure you dont miss out!
* * *
The post, as 5 Ideas To Kick Off Your YouTube Strategy, appeared first on Bubble Jobs Blog | Bubble Jobs.